Ashley Madison Q&As
Here, we try to answer all the pressing questions you may have about the Ashley Madison data breach.
- What is Ashley Madison? We tackle more about this in another article on this website.
- Who owns Ashley Madison? They are owned by a Canadian based company called Avid Life Media, founded by Noel Biderman. They are the same company who owns other adult dating websites like EstablishedMen.com.
- What is the controversy surrounding this website? On July 15, 2015, hackers stole the customer data, including real names, credit card numbers, sexual preferences, and even addresses of the registered website users. Unlike other dating sites, the “selling point” for Ashley Madison is adultery, which is a taboo for certain religions and society in general.
- Who is Ashley Madison? Nobody in particular, rather, the name of the website comes from the two most popular girls given names.
- How many users are there? We cover this in the Stats page of this website, where we cover the number of male and female users, as well as another controversy where some of the women’s profiles are fake.
- What are the consequences of the Ashley Madison Data Breach? Numerous suicides, people being outed for their sexual preferences, getting in trouble with their home & a loss of dignity. We cover some of these effects on a separate article on this site.
- Who hacked Ashley Madison? There has been speculation that it could have been an inside job. Leaked emails from the CEO claimed that the website’s security is not treated as a priority, and thus, the hackers got in to the systems. is site down Even though the website claims that the data is encrypted, it has been noted that the passwords of the users have been decrypted and is now available to peruse online.
- How will I find out if my husband/wife/partner is cheating? There is a website you can use to check if your partner’s email address was part of the Ashley Madison database. Click here to access said database.
- Will Ashley Madison ever recover from this hacking incident? Potentially, given the press for the website (any news is good news, right?) – but for now, we are still reeling over the events that have happened and still reading more and more news on developments regarding this case.