Ashley Madison: Some Stats & Facts
With the scandal winding down a bit, let’s look at some of the key statistics & facts surrounding Ashley Madison:
- 2001 – the year when the website was first founded.
- As per Business Insider, one out of every four married men (25% of the married men!) are on the website. Now, isn’t that very troubling?
- 36 million – approximate users of the website
- 31 million – approximate number of male users of the website
- 5 million – approximate number of female users (most of them fake accounts)
- Over 20 million men checked their messages on the website, while only around 1,500 of women did. Again, another gender imbalance.
- 33 million – number of accounts that have been leaked by the hackers from the Ashley Madison website
- $500,000 CAD – amount offered by Ashley Madison’s parent company, Avid Life Media, for more information on the hackers who breached the “secure” website.
- $200-300 – the fee needed to create an account on the website, which men have to pay for.
- $0 (Free) – women don’t have to pay for anything to create an account.
- $19 – the fee to get your data deleted from the website and close down your account.
- More than $5 million a year – the amount former CEO and founder of the Ashley Madison website, Noel Biderman, takes home per year.
- 200,000 – the number of emails leaked from the CEO, Noel Biderman.
- 300 GB – the amount of data hacked from the server.
- Ashley Madison is banned from Singapore & South Korea.
- $34 million – the ad budget of Ashley Madison, but Bing, ABC, British TV, and even the Superbowl refused to show their ads on their channels/media.
- $1 billion – the estimated amount of the website/venture before the scandal.
The scandal has raised some very interesting questions about the role of the internet in contemporary relationships, whether it’s the dating app Tinder, which has been accused of encouraging short-term relationships and being responsible for higher divorce rates, or Ashley Madison’s model of gleeful enjoyment in the serious matter of marital infidelity. It remains to be seen what impact this will have on not only married couples, but also on the broader question of the meaning (imagined or real) of online courtship. politika . dedicated server . domain ip .